Friday, January 30, 2009

Nasi dagang at gerai no.2 Tanjung Api, Kuantan.
Fishing boat undergoing repair.
Me visiting the ship yard.
Tanjung Api Kuantan.
During my last visit to Kuantan one of my relative took my family to Tanjung Api to eat nasi dagang. We have to be there early or there will be no nasi dagang as it is very popular with the local there, according to him.
True enough, the nasi was very tasty and judging by the crowd we were wise to be there early.
While having our meals I was distracted by industrial noise next door. I was informed it came from the fishing boat repair yard nearby. Leaving the rest to continue with their second helping I ventured out to see the ship yard. I was amazed to see the work being done at the workshop there. Amid modern equipments and conventional tools I could see many artisans and craft men busy doing their work. I found out they do not receive formal training but learned their trade from their elders. I just wonder if the relevant ministry is playing active role in promoting the industry. These people are working on ocean going boat where safety is very critical. We are capable of building navy ship and merchant ship, I wonder if we have overlooked the simple need of our fisherman, after all that is where our fish on the dining table come from

No comments: