Wednesday, February 20, 2008

PERSONAL SAFETY SEMINAR.
It was a humid and hot night. I decided to take a night stroll and asked my two daughters to accompany me. We were just two blocks away from our rented chalet when suddenly I saw three shadows loomed in front of us. It was too late to turn back. The shadows materialized into three hooded men. Instinctively I pulled my daughters into an open space, remembering what Master Saiful had told me earlier, as open space provide more room to maneuver. I was already taking a defensive stand when the first attacker set on me. As he plunged toward me I moved sideway at the same time took a left hand, right hand jab followed by well placed kick on his right knee. The attacker fell on the ground. At the corner of my eye I saw the other two attackers were struggling to hold my two daughters. They were kicking and elbowing the attackers. Taken by the sudden action the attackers let them loose. That all was need I shouted to them at the top of my voice to run at the same time hoping the attackers did not pursued us.Well if that was a real scene we would not have got away so easily but fortunately it was only simulated attack during Safety seminar organized by Rotary Club of Kampung Baharu with the cooperation of KickStart Academy. The safety seminar was attended by six Rotarians, guest and family members numbering to fifty participants. It was held at Dusun Eco Resort near Bentong from 8-10 February 2008. As the crime rate in Malaysia is on the rise, the members of Rotary Club of Kampung Baharu feel that there is a need to increase public awareness on personal safety to ensure that they have a better chance of survival incase they become the unfortunate victim. During the seminar the participants and their family members were given valuable insight into various techniques to analyze, avoid and react to potentially dangerous situations. Simulated scenarios like above were created to enable the participants to experience almost lifelike situation. The value of the seminar was further enhanced by CP Haji Razali Dato’ Rahmat, as a guest speaker, by delivering a talk titled ‘You and the Law’. In his closing speech President Amin congratulated KickStart Academy for partnering with RCKB in mounting such an excellent Seminar which is much needed in Malaysia.Note: Rotarian Master Saiful Hamiruzzaman is Chief Instructor for KickStart Academy and Malaysia Martial Art Association (MMAAA). Further details at http://www.thegreenhornet.com.my/; http://www.kickstart-my.com/ Tel:(603) 2300 2287 / 1434

No comments: