Monday, February 25, 2008

Taiping Railway Station.

The oldest station in Malaysia. It was opened in the year 1887. The first track linked Port Weld and Taiping, mainly to transport tin ore from the district to the rest of the world. Port Weld had been renamed as Kuala Sepetang recently. I used the station during my secondary school days when returning to my home for term break. My house was located at Kota West on the outskirt of Taiping town. It was considered one of the bigger railway station in Perak at that time since the train transit there for longer period.
Somebody mentioned to me there is a train museum nearby but so far I could not locate it. On my last trip there, I saw a notice board informing visitors that a new railway station will be constructed to replace the current one. So one more of my nostalgic landmark will be eliminated from the face of the earth.

No comments: